Loading...
 Start Page

Walking in the city

  • The Ano Poli (Old City), which remains almost intact, resplendent with memories of times past. Climb the scenic stairs of Patreos, Gerokostopoulou or Aghiou Nicholaou Streets, the most famous landmarks of the city.
  • The Church of the Pantokratoras, with its copper basilica domes. It is dated to 900 AD
  • The medieval castle. Built during the second half of the sixth century AD using ancient spolia as building material.  
  • Vasileos Georgiou A Square, surrounded by various traditional buildings, the most notable of which is the Apollo Theatre of 1872, designed by the German architect Ernst Ziller as a miniature of La Scala in Milan.
  • The streets Maizonos, Aghiou Nicholaou, Hermou, Kolokotroni and Corinthou, ideal for shopping, as well as D. Gounari Avenue, with its impressive City Courts complex (1931) with Doric columns and pediments on its façades. 
  • The verdant Ethnikis Antistasis Square, where the celebrations of the Carnival culminate.
  • The Historical and Ethnological Museum, with exhibits from 1821 until World War II, and the Press Museum, the only of its kind in Greece, which displays newspapers, magazines and rare books from 1815 onwards. 
  • The Public Library, one of the largest in the country.
  • Psila Alonia Square, offering a fantastic view of the city, hosting the statue of Paleon Patros Germanos and the bust of the poet Kostis Palamas, who was born here.
  • The city’s marina (with mooring facilities for 450 vessels). The area, which also features an open 500-seat theatre, a playground and pedestrian walkway by the sea, is ideal for walking and relaxation as its bars and cafés offer superb views.
  • The city’s municipal beach (Iroon Polytechniou Street), with special facilities for sports in the sand (beach volley, beach handball, etc.), windsurfing, etc. 
  • The two churches of the patron saint of Patras, Aghios Andreas, are a nationwide and pan-orthodox pilgrimage destination. The new magnificent Byzantine style church was founded in 1908 and inaugurated in 1974. It is the largest and most artistic church in the Balkans and one of the largest in Europe, with a capacity of at least 5,500 people. The old church was built between 1836 and 1843 in the place where the Apostle Andrew martyred. To the front and right of the church, near the Altar, lies the marble tomb of the Apostle.

PATRAS PORT AUTHORITY S.A.

Port Services Building, South Port
P.C. 26333 - Patras/ Phone: +30 2610 365 135 / Fax: +30 2610 365 134 / Email: info@patrasport.gr

CENTRAL PATRAS PORT AUTHORITIES
Τηλ.: +30 2613 615 400

         

Login / Sitemap

© Copyright 2020 Patras Port Authority